Awesome Autumn Salad
- 4 leaves of organic Swiss chard
- 4 leaves of organic kale
- 1 organic sweet potato
- 3⁄4 cup organic dried cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup organic white cheddar cheese diced into small cubes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup organic toasted pumpkin seeds
- simple white balsamic vinaigrette (see recipe below) • 1⁄2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Toss Swiss chard and kale with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss on a grill and quickly sear each side (5-10 seconds each side). Remove from grill and let cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Dice sweet potato into small cubes. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread over wax papered baking sheet. Put in oven for 12 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Chop chilled grilled Swiss chard and kale. Toss with diced sweet potato, diced white cheddar cheese, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds and white balsamic vinai- grette. Makes 4 servings.
Simple White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 12oz organic extra virgin olive oil
- 4oz white balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 shallot
- 1⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Instructions: Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until evenly distributed. Serve and refrigerate.
— Alexandra Lee Wipf,
co-owner, Solano’s Bistro, La Quinta