Wintery Carrot Ginger Soup
This recipe comes to Going Organic from the Chef at Solanos in La Quinta. It is part of their winter menu. Not only is it delicious, but the recipe is vegetarian, vegan and extremely healthy!
INGREDIENTS (Use Organic Whenever Possible):
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups carrots, chopped and peeled
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, minced
- 1 – 1/2 cups orange juice
- dash nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sautee onions and ginger in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and vegetable broth and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 40 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Add orange juice and stir well.
- Place small batches at a time in a food processor or blender and process soup until smooth.
- Place back into pot or your serving bowl and add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir well.
Optional: Serve with a dash of sour cream or yogurt.
—Alexandra Lee Wipf,
co-owner, Solano’s Bistro, La Quinta