By Melinda Vida
Flu Season is upon us. This is the time of year when everyone seems to be sneezing, sniffling, and coughing. Feeling sick is no fun and limits our time to enjoy life and be productive. To avoid getting sick this winter season, here are some simple tips to boost your immune system naturally:
GET REST – When you compromise on sleep and experience a lot of stress, you are also weakening your body’s immune system and ability to fight off colds and flus. It’s no wonder we get sick right after the Holidays. Prioritize active rest, like massage therapy sessions, practice deep breathing, meditate, go for a walk (get some Vitamin D from the sun) – do whatever works for you and be sure to get quality sleep every night. There’s no better time for the body to restore and repair itself than while you rest.
SWEAT IT OUT – Exercise helps keep your immune system healthy. Focus on doing activities you enjoy – anything that gets you moving. Try yoga, hanging upside down, dance for 30 minutes, jump on a trampoline – activities you genuinely enjoy doing. Good circulation is key.
EAT SUPERFOODS – Great vitamin C sources in the wintertime include dark leafy greens (like kale) as well as rutabaga, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, lemon and persimmons. Garlic is another immune booster and natural antibacterial agent. It’s a serious germ fighter that helps the body fight off any unwanted bacteria. Ginger is a great inflammation and pain reliever. But that’s not all! It’s also an anti-viral agent that helps boost your immune system. Additionally, ginger has a nice warming effect on the body in the colder winter months and helps resolve mucus buildup.
FOODS TO AVOID
• Dairy: Most dairy, especially yogurt, cheese, and ice cream are considered mucous-forming and will aggravate congestion symptoms if you have a cold.
• Sugar: Sugar weakens your immune system and causes inflammation in the body. Let your sugar come from immunity-boosting fresh fruits and sweet root vegetables, not candy bars, cookies and soda.
• Processed Food: Heavy and fatty foods dramatically decreases immune function. Give your body a chance to heal itself without excess toxicities.
USE ESSENTIAL OILS
These essential oils can help your body fight infection and prevent the spread of airborne bacteria and viruses:
• Thieves Blend: A highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-infectious oil. The singular essential oils in the blend are what make this so effective! It includes clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary
• Oregano Oil: Try adding it to your water (tastes like pizza!)
• Pine Oil: Known for treating throat/lung/sinus infections and can be used as a natural decongestant
• Tea Tree Oil: This powerful antibacterial oil has a fragrance that promotes cleansing and purity, so it’s a great natural remedy for cold and flu
Here’s to a Healthy Winter!
*DISCLAIMER: The information in this article is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes.